In this guide by Genshin impact dedicated to Thomas we will make an overview of his fighting skills and offer you some tips to achieve what, in our opinion, are the better builds for the new entry of miHoYo Action GDR.
His fighting style is particularly interesting: he executes quick lunges with polearms, while his Elemental Skills and Burst are based on the Pyro element and provide a fiery barrier for himself and teammates.
How to get Thoma
Thoma is currently available on Genshin Impact thanks to the banner "Moment of Bloom"until November 23, 2021. Thereafter the character will also be available in the base standard" Wanderlust Invocation ".
Thoma is a character 4 stars, so it's much, much easier to get than the 5 star Genshin Impact ones. In the "Moment of Bloom" banner, as usual, there are three 4 stars in evidence, namely Thoma, Sayu and Diona. The odds of receiving a 4-star item is 5,1% base and 99,4% after 10 consecutive wishes in which you don't get one. Furthermore, there is a 50% chance that the prize in question is one of the three previously mentioned characters. In practice, in the worst case, every 10 wish you will have a one in six chance of getting Thoma.
In short, if you are trying to take Hu Tao, the 5-star character protagonist of the banner currently underway on Genshin Impact, there is a good chance of receiving Thoma as well, as sooner or later you may find him in the standard banner. But is it worth investing Primogem to get Thoma or resources to upgrade it? We will try to give you an answer below, with an overview of active and passive talents, constellations, materials for upgrades, fighting style and best builds for Thoma.
Thoma: Combat Talents, Passive Bonuses, Constellations, and Upgrade Materials
Thoma fights using polearms and uses the Pyro element. His Elemental Skill deals area fire damage (we'll use the term "AoE" from now on) and creates a fiery barrier, the "Blazing Barrier"that absorbs damage from enemies. The higher Thoma's HP, the more resistant the barrier will be. The interesting thing is that its duration and resistance are stackable. This means that if you activate a second one while the first is still active. , their effects will accumulate, thus creating an even more effective protection.
And that brings us to Elemental Burst, which deals Pyro AoE damage and activates status "Schorching Ooyoroi"for Thoma and companions, which creates additional barriers and causes AoE Pyro damage even when Thoma is not in the field, useful to say the least for elemental combos and supporting the whole party.
Here are combat talents by Thoma:
- Swiftshatter Spear: Thoma's standard attack with polearms, with which he unleashes up to four consecutive hits. The Charged Attack consists of a spinning lunge with a forward sprint, while the attack from above damages enemies in Thoma's trajectory and causes AoE damage on impact.
- Elemental Skill - Blazing Blessing: Thoma delivers a quick flying kick that deals a decent amount of Pyro damage in a small area and activates the "Blazing Barrier" defensive barrier. The strength of the barrier increases based on the character's maximum HP and absorbs fire damage 250% more effectively. When the Blazing Barrier is active and a second one is created, the remaining damage absorbing capacity builds up to the new barrier (up to a maximum limit, however generous enough) and its duration is restored, which means potentially having an infinite barrier. At entry level, Blazing Barrier's absorption capacity is 7,2% of Thoma's maximum HP + 693, which can reach 19,6% of HP + 1887 by stacking the effects of multiple barriers. Of course, upgrading this talent also increases the power of the Blazing Barrier. However, keep in mind that the reload time of the skill is 15 seconds while its duration is 8 seconds.
- Elemental Burst - Crimson Ooyoroi: When this talent is activated, Thoma deals Pyro-type AoE damage and activates the "Scorching Ooyoroi" status for himself and his companions for 15 seconds. For its entire duration, it activates the "Fiery Collapse" effect when a party member lands a normal attack, with a cooldown of one second. Fiery Collapse causes Pyro-type AoE damage, taken individually discreet but overall huge and great for any elemental combos, and creates a Blazing Barrier. This is much less resistant than the one created with Blazing Blessing (1,1% of max HP + 110 at Lv. 1), however its effects are the same. This means that for the duration of the "Scorching Ooyoroi" status you can drastically increase the duration and resistance of an existing Blazing Barrier and make the characters in the field potentially unstoppable war machines. A useful Elemental Burst but that requires 80 of Energy.
Here are the bonuses given by passive talents by Thoma:
- Imbricated Armor: When a new Blazing Barrier is created the barrier power for the active character increases by 5% for 6s. The effect can be activated every 0,3 seconds and is stackable up to 5 times. Undoubtedly an effect that has excellent synergy with the effects of Thoma's Elemental Burst.
- Flaming Assault: Damage dealt by Elemental Burst's Fiery Collapse increases by 2,2% of Thoma's maximum HP.
- Snap and Swing: If Thoma is in your team, every time you catch a fish in Inazuma there is a 20% chance of getting two.
The following are the bonuses of the Constellations of Thoma, obtainable with the character's Lucky Stars (or by obtaining "duplicates" with the Wishes):
- Lv. 1 - A Comrade's Duty: If a party member other than Thoma is hit while a Blazing Barrier is active, the cooldown of Thoma's Elemental Skill and Elemental Burst are reduced by 3 seconds. The effect activates once every 20 seconds.
- Lv. 2 - A Subordinate's Skill: Crimson Ooyoroi's duration is increased by 3 seconds.
- Lv. 3 - Fortified Resolve: Increases the level of Blazing Blessing by 3. The level cap of the talent increases to 15.
- Lv. 4 - Long-Term Planning: 15 Energy points will be restored after using Crimson Ooyoroi.
- Lv. 5 - Raging Wildfire: Increases the level of Crimson Ooyoroi by 3. The level cap of the talent increases to 15.
- Lv. 6 Burning Heart: When a Blazing Barrier is obtained or renewed, the damage dealt by all party members with Normal, Charged, and Top attacks is increased by 15% for 6 seconds.
Below is a list of all materials required to unlock Thoma's level cap up to level 90:
Lv. 20 - 40
- Agnidus Agate Sliver ×1
- Treasure Hoarder Insignia ×3
- Fluorescent Fungus ×3
- 20.000 Default
Lv. 40 - 50
- Agnidus Agate Fragment ×3
- Treasure Hoarder Insignia ×15
- Smoldering Pearl ×2
- Fluorescent Fungus ×10
- 40.000 Default
Lv. 50 - 60
- Agnidus Agate Fragment ×6
- Silver Raven Insignia ×12
- Smoldering Pearl ×4
- Fluorescent Fungus ×20
- 60.000 Default
Lv. 60 - 70
- Agnidus Agate Chunk ×3
- Silver Raven Insignia ×18
- Smoldering Pearl ×8
- Fluorescent Fungus ×30
- 80.000 Default
Lv. 70 - 80
- Agnidus Agate Chunk ×6
- Golden Raven Insignia ×12
- Smoldering Pearl ×12
- Fluorescent Fungus ×45
- 100.000 Default
Lv. 80 - Lv.90
- Agnidus Agate Gemstone ×6
- Golden Raven Insignia ×24
- Smoldering Pearl ×20
- Fluorescent Fungus x60
- 120.000 Default
- 420.000 Default
- Smoldering Pearl ×46
- Agnidus Agate Sliver ×1
- Agnidus Agate Fragment ×9
- Agnidus Agate Chunk ×9
- Agnidus Agate Gemstone ×6
- Fluorescent Fungus ×168
- Treasure Hoarder Insignia ×18
- Silver Raven Insignia ×30
- Golden Raven Insignia ×36
The "Smoldering Pearls" are obtained from the boss Pyro Hypostasis, located north of the Kujou Encampment. From him you will also get the various fragments of "Agnidus Agate". The "Insignia" are the loot left by the "Treasure Hoarders" found especially in Lyue and Inazuma. It is not a difficult material to obtain and you will probably have some in your inventory. The "Fluorescent Fungus" are instead a new variety of mushrooms present exclusively on Tsurumi Island. You will recognize them by the blue glow they emit. Thoma for the moment is the only character who uses these materials, so if you have already explored the length and breadth of the island you may already have plenty of them. In any case, if you need a hand here is their location in the official interactive map of Genshin Impact.
To enhance the talents, however, in addition to the "Insignia" you will need the objects of the "Guide to Transience" series obtainable in the "Reign of Violet" tomorrow on Mondays, Thursdays and Sundays, as well as the "Hellfire Butterly" at the highest levels , obtainable from the weekly boss who is located in the city of Inazuma (avoid saying the name to avoid spoilers).
Thoma: the best builds
Thoma is a character who can offer exceptional support to the team thanks to the Blazing Barriers and especially thanks to his Elemental Burst. In addition to the initial damage, this ability deals Pyro-type repetitive AoE damage (as long as you are aggressive with normal attacks) quite high, at the same time it allows you to trigger elemental combos and protect allies. By maximizing the Constellation of him, then, you will offer a great boost to the whole party. However, there is also the long recharge time of the Elemental Skill, 15 seconds, and the high amount of Energy to trigger the Elemental Burst. In any case, he is a character that is all in all worth investing in and a good fighter, fun to play and potentially a great addition to your team with the right setup.
With regard to best builds for Thoma basically we have two options: make it a Support or a sub-DPS. We lean towards the second option, but below we will list which builds we believe are the best for both cases.
In case you want to make Thoma a great one sub-DPS, we recommend that you opt for four "Emblem of Severed Fate" pieces, obtainable at "Momiji-Dyed Court" on Yashiori Island, Inazuma. Thanks to this set Thoma gets a 20% bonus to Energy Recharge, very useful for activating his Elemental Burst more often, as well as a considerable increase in the damage of the move. Alternatively you can focus on mixed sets, possibly with two pieces "Noblesse Oblige" (20% more damage for the Elemental Burst) and "Crimson Witch of Flames" (15% for Pyro damage). For the statistics of the Artifacts we advise you to aim for HP (to increase the power of the Blazing Barrier), Energy Recharge, Pyro damage and critical percentage.
In case you prefer a Support specialized in barriers, on the other hand, we recommend 2 pieces Emblem of Severed Fate ", again to increase the Energy Recharge, and 2 pieces" Tenacity of Millelith "to increase the maximum HP by 20% and consequently also the resistance of the Blazing Barrier If you don't have any "Emblem of Severed Fate" pieces, alternatively we suggest going for "Crimson Witch of Flames" to increase Pyro damage. For stats we mainly recommend HP.
With regard to weaponry, the "Staff of Homa" 5 star rarity is a great option for both a Support and sub-DPS build. Increases HP by 20% and increases attack based on the character's maximum HP, granting an additional bonus where the character has less than 50% of maximum life points. Alternatively there are the "Engulfing Lightning" (sub-DPS) and the "Skyward Spine". But we are always talking about very rare weapons that are not within everyone's reach. Among the 4-star weapons we obviously recommend the polarm "The Catch". Not only does it increase power and critical strike chance, but it's also a free weapon from Geshin Impact and can be upgraded to the max easily thanks to fishing.
If you found this article useful, we also recommend our guide to Aloy's skills and builds from Horizon Zero Dawn and Forbidden West, Sangonomiya Kokomi, Raiden Shogun and Yoimiya.