Sunyshore City Gym in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl isn't so much a grand finale as a demonstration of your newfound powers. Since you should have Dialga or Palkia (depending on the game version), most of the Electro-types in the gym should just scratch your Legendary. However, with Gym Leader Volkner going against the grain and having more than just one type of Pokémon, you'll need some backup plans before going to him.
How to solve the Sunyshore City gymnasium puzzle
For the puzzle of this gym, players are asked to press various colored buttons to unlock the stairs leading to Volkner. If you press aimlessly, it can take up to an hour to fix the problem, and it's definitely not recommended. There will be five trainers you will have to face during this process, so make sure you are stocked with potions and full healing. Here's how you go about reaching the gym leader.
- When you enter the gym, start by pressing the green button on the right side of the room once. From there, head back to the entrance, but then hit the green button on the left side.
- After, take the new path leading to the blue button and step on it three times. If done correctly, you will be able to advance to the second floor by the stairs on the left.
- As you make your way, press the next blue button once and the next green button right after. This should open a lane on the right side of the room where you need to press a red button.
- After that, go back to the left side of the room, activate the red button and then do it one more time with the green one next to it. The stairs should be open again for you, now allowing you to go to the third floor.
- On the top floor, you will locate and double press the green button at the front of the room. A bridge should then allow you to press the blue button nearby.
- This will allow you to take the stairs leading to the first floor. Again, click on the same red button on the right side as you did at the beginning and take the stairs back to find a new bridge leading to Volkner.
What Pokémon does Volkner have?
To take you by surprise, Volkner will only have two Electric-type Pokémon, while the others will be Normal and Water-type. These four Pokémon are Raichu (Lv. 46), Ambipom (Lv. 47), Octillery (Lv. 47), and Luxray (Lv. 49). While you might see them in this order, Raichu's Volt Switch will allow Volkner to switch Pokémon in no time. Therefore, you should counter this by changing your Pokémon to the most effective type at the moment.
In terms of these Pokémon's weaknesses, you should formulate your team around Ground-types and moves that are super effective against Electric Pokémon. That said, you will need to be careful when fighting with Octillery. She will attempt to use Focus Energy to increase her Aurora Beam's critical hit chance, an ice attack that is deadly when directed against ground-based Pokémon.
The best Pokémon to use against Volkner in the Sunyshore City gym
Acquire both Dialga o Palkia before going to this gym, the eighth badge might be the easiest to get in the game if used wisely. Before fighting Volkner, make sure they have leveled up at least once. This should make them level 48 and now able to learn Dragon Claw. The move can be used up to 15 times and usually knocks out Electric-types with one hit.
For Ground-type Pokémon, an excellent and easy-to-find choice is Onix. Combined with TM28 Excavation and TM26 Earthquake, the Pokémon should have no problem taking out Volkner's Luxray and Raichu. You can discover a learned Onix with Excavation by heading into the Grand Underground from Sunyshore City. It is most common in the Sandsear Cave hideout, where it is usually found around level 45.
Speaking of Sandsear Cave, there will be another great backup Pokémon to be found Rhyhorn. However, you should look for one above level 35, as this is the time he will learn Drill Run. The Ground-type attack contains 80 Power, but will deal double damage when used against most Pokémon in this gym.
Related: Is the Battle Frontier in Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl?