Although Magikarp is not the best Pokémon for many, its evolved form, Gyarados is a powerful Pokémon and it takes 400 Magikarp candies to evolve the flopped fish in the incredible evolution in Pokémon Go. Gyarados can learn a variety of moves, but there there are some that make it really brilliant. In this guide, we cover the best moveset to teach Gyarados in Pokémon Go.
Gyarados is a Flying and Water-type Pokémon. It will be weak against Electric and Rock-type moves, but is resistant to Ground, Insect, Fighting, Fire, Steel, and Water-type attacks. We highly recommend using Gyarados in Ultra and Master League competition against other players.
These are all the moves Gyarados can learn:
- Bite (dark type) - 4 damage and 2 energy (4 damage per turn) - 1 turn
- Breath of the Dragon (Dragon type) - 4 damage and 3 energy (4 damage per turn) - 1 turn
- Tail of Dragon (Dragon type) - 13 damage and 3 energy (4,3 damage per turn) - 3 turns
- Waterfall (Water type) - 12 damage and 2,6 energy (4 damage per turn) - 3 turns
- Aqua Tail (Water type) - 50 damage and 35 energy
- Crunch (Dark type) - 70 damage and 45 energy
- Dragon Pulse (Dragon type) - 90 damage and 60 energy
- Hydro pump (water type) - 130 damage and 75 energy
- Outrage (Dragon-type) - 110 damage and 60 energy
- Twister (Dragon type) - 45 damage and 45 energy
There are several choices for Gyarados with regards to his attacks. The best fast attack choice is Dragon Breath. Provides the ideal blend of energy and does enough damage to make it a worthwhile attack during a battle.
For loaded moves, you have even more choices. Of all the options available in Gyarados, we highly recommend opting for aqua tail and crunch. Aqua tail is a powerful Water-type move that doesn't cost too much energy, allowing you to spam it against an opponent. With crunch, it's also a low-energy Dark-type move, suitable for taking out an opponent's shields and forcing them to use them to protect their Pokémon.
The best moveset to teach Gyarados is the dragon's quick breath and the charged moves aqua tail and crunch.