It's time to go back in time to revisit the first generation of Pokémon in the Kanto Cup. In it, trainers can only use Pokémon that hail from the Kanto region, so these are the original 151 Pokémon in the game. There are still some restrictions to this league, for example no Pokémon can exceed 1.500 CP, but as long as you have one of the original Pokémon, you can jump into the competition. The Kanto Cup takes place from 9 to 22 November. You can create these best teams to use in the Kanto Cup meta to outrun the competition.
The best Pokémon teams for the Kanto Cup
Hypno, Clefable e Snorlax
Hypno is one of the most tank Pokémon you can use in this league. It is exceptionally good for resisting quite a bit of damage and has various moves that it can use in combat to hit multiple types of Pokémon. However, it doesn't have a quick move set which means it has low shield pressure. You want to counter it with Clefable, a Pokémon with an incredibly fast move set that can destroy an opponent's shields and is capable of countering Dragon, Fighting, Dark and Bug-types. The last Pokémon you want to use is Snorlax, also another tank Pokémon that is exceptionally strong and difficult to defeat, making it a perfect ending Pokémon for keeping the line.
- Hypno: Confusion (fast move), thunder punch and shadow ball
- Clefable: Charm (quick move), meteor mush, and moon blast
- Snorlax: Lick (fast movement), body slam and superpower
Lickitung, Mewtwo (ombra) and Pidgeot
For the next team, we have Lickitung, a robust Normal-type Pokémon that can withstand a lot of punishment for a variety of Pokémon in the Kanto Cup. But you have to be careful with the combat types, so we recommend that you have the shadow version of Mewtwo and Pidgeot as a backup. You will need to place Lickitung as the main Pokémon, Mewtwo (shadow) as the Closer, and Pidgeot can be the Switch option.
- Licktung: Lick (movimento veloce), body slam e power whip
- Mewtwo (shadow): Psycho cut (fast move), psystrike and shadow ball
- Pidgeot: burst (fast moving), brave bird and feather dance.
Alola Muk, Machamp (ombra) e Dewgong
Choosing the Alolan Muk is a good Pokémon to use for charge moves, so you'll probably want to use it as your first Pokémon or as a switch option. It will be spam with a pretty decent move set. As a backup, we recommend using a shadow Machamp and using its strongest attack to wreak havoc on any Pokémon in its path. You don't want Machamp to be your final Pokémon. For one last choice, you want to go with Dewgong, a Pokémon on par with Lapras.
- Alolan Muk: Growl (fast motion), dark pulse and mud wave
- Machamp (shadow): Counter (fast move), cross chop and rock slide
- Dewgong: Shard of ice (fast moving), freezing wind, and pulsating water
Dragonair, Ninetales and Sandshrew of Alola
Dragonair, while not a fully evolved Pokémon, is exceptional for the Kanto Cup. Dragonite, the fully evolved form of Dragonair, is much more suitable for Ultra or the Master League. It has a quick and useful move that can put a lot of pressure on the opponent, along with a Water-type and another Dragon-type charge move that can be spammed a bit. As a backup, we will recommend Ninetales to protect against Ice-types, and then Alolan Sandshrew as a last resort, given his good defenses.
- Dragonair: Dragon's Breath (Fast Movement), Aquatic Tail and Dragon Pulse
- Ninetales: Fire spin (fast move), Weather Ball (Fire type) and psyshock
- Alolan Sandshrew: Powdery snow (fast moving), ice fist and bulldoze
Electrode, Blastoise and Venusaur
To the final team, we will recommend Electrode, an Electric-type Pokémon, which we believe serves as a better Switch Pokémon than the main Pokémon. As an advantage, try using Blastoise, a bulky Water-type Pokémon that can take a lot of damage. You can swap electrodes or Venusaur to protect yourself from any of its weaknesses. Both Blastoise and Venusaur have superb fast attacks that can spam, increasing their overall consistency of loaded moves, and both have reliable moveset.
- Electrode: Volt switch (fast movement), discharge and incorrect play
- Blastoise: water pistol (quick move), hydraulic cannon and ice beam
- Venusaur: Vine whip (fast moving), hectic plant and mud bomb